Lincoln County, South Dakota Genealogy
Lincoln County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you locate your Lincoln Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Lincoln County was established on April 05, 1862 (organized in 1867) from Unorganized territory. The county was named for Lincoln County, Maine.
Currently the Lincoln County Seat is located in Canton and the county government website is http://www.lincolncountysd.org/
Locations adjacent to Lincoln County are Minnehaha County (north), Lyon County, Iowa (northeast), Sioux County, Iowa, Union County (south), Clay County (southwest), Turner County (west).
Cities and towns found in Lincoln County consists of Beresford, Canton, Fairview, Harrisburg, Hudson, Lennox, Moe, Norway Center, Shindler, Sioux Falls, Tea, Worthing.
Lincoln County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Lincoln County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Lincoln County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in finding the resources, but it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lincoln county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth. The state archives holds probate records (1883—1914).
- Haakon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E 5th St, Canton, SD 57013
- Phone: (605) 987-5661
- Lincoln County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Marriage Records: 1873
- Land Records: 1862?
- Lincoln County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1862?
- Court Records: 1862?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
South Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include South Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; South Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; South Dakota Obituary Records; South Dakota Military Records; South Dakota Family Tree Records; South Dakota Pictures; South Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; South Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lincoln County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Lincoln County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Lincoln County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Lincoln Co. SD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. SD Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. SD Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. SD Census Records
Lincoln Co. SD Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lincoln Co. SD Church & Bible Records
Lincoln Co. SD Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. SD General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. SD Immigration & Naturalization
Lincoln Co. SD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. SD Military Records
Lincoln Co. SD Schools & Directories