Meade County, South Dakota Genealogy
Meade County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you locate your Meade Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Meade County was established on February 07, 1889 from Lawrence County. The county was named in honor of George Meade (1815 - 1872), Civil War general.
Currently the Meade County Seat is located in Sturgis and the county government website is http://www.meadecounty.org/
Locations adjacent to Meade County are Perkins County (north), Ziebach County (east), Pennington County (south), Lawrence County (southwest), Butte County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Meade County consists of Blackhawk, Box Elder, Ellsworth AFB, Faith, Mud Butte, Piedmont, Sturgis, Summerset, Tilford, White Owl
Meade County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Meade Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Meade County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Meade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Meade County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Meade County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Meade County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in finding the resources, but it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Meade county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth. The state archives holds records (1889—1956).
- Haakon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1425 Sherman St, Sturgis, SD 57785
- Phone: (605) 394-2688
- Meade County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Marriage Records: prior to 1905
- Land Records: 1889?
- Meade County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1889?
- Court Records: 1889?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
South Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include South Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; South Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; South Dakota Obituary Records; South Dakota Military Records; South Dakota Family Tree Records; South Dakota Pictures; South Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; South Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Meade County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Meade County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Meade County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Meade Co. SD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Meade Co. SD Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Meade Co. SD Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Meade Co. SD Census Records
Meade Co. SD Cemeteries & Graveyards
Meade Co. SD Church & Bible Records
Meade Co. SD Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Meade Co. SD General and History Websites
Meade Co. SD Immigration & Naturalization
Meade Co. SD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Meade Co. SD Military Records
Meade Co. SD Schools & Directories