Spink County, South Dakota Genealogy
Spink County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you locate your Spink Co., ancestors. Start now by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Spink County was established on January 08, 1873 (organized in 1879) from Hanson County. The county was named in honor of S.L. Spink, Secretary of Dakota Territory.
Currently the Spink County Seat is located in Redfield and the county government website is http://www.spinkcounty-sd.org/
Locations adjacent to Spink County are Brown County (north), Day County (northeast), Clark County (east), Beadle County (south), Hand County (southwest), Faulk County (west).
Cities and towns found in Spink County consists of Ashton, Athol, Brentford, Conde, Doland, Frankfort, Mansfield, Mellette, Northville, Redfield, Tulare, Turton
Spink County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Spink Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Spink Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1880. Spink Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Spink County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Spink County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Dakota Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Spink County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Spink County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Spink County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in finding the resources, but it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following details denotes whatever birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records are located in Spink County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Spink County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 210 E 7th Ave, Redfield, SD 57469
- Phone: (605) 472-4535
- Spink County Register of Deeds is the primary record-keeping and archival repository for county land records and for the recording & maintaining of records pertaining to that real estate, plats, deeds, mortgages & many miscellaneous documents. This office is the keeper of birth, death & marriage records, military discharge records, fictitious name filings, and various types of liens, including mechanic’s liens, state and federal tax liens.
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1873?
- Spink County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1873?
- Court Records: 1873?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
South Dakota Historical Records
- Databases include South Dakota Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Dakota Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Dakota Voter Lists & Census Records; South Dakota Immigration & Emigration Records; South Dakota Obituary Records; South Dakota Military Records; South Dakota Family Tree Records; South Dakota Pictures; South Dakota Stories, Memories & Histories; South Dakota Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Spink County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Spink County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Spink County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Spink Co. SD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Spink Co. SD Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Spink Co. SD Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Spink Co. SD Census Records
Spink Co. SD Cemeteries & Graveyards
Spink Co. SD Church & Bible Records
Spink Co. SD Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Spink Co. SD General and History Websites
Spink Co. SD Immigration & Naturalization
Spink Co. SD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Spink Co. SD Military Records
Spink Co. SD Schools & Directories